The tradition says that the place where today is located the city of La Esperanza and Intibucá, in
ancient times there were the twin villages of origin "MAYA - LENCA" called ERAMANI and LENTERCALA respectively, occupied the whole plain Eramanies Lepaterique and the spreading to the neighborhood Tejar Square and Old Cemetery. The council of Eramanies tells
us that there where it is now the home of Don Miguel Lopez Arriaga was the first mayor of the upper hand Don Francisco de la Cerda, in the time of Spanish colonization. The Lentercala, meanwhile were placed in the top quarter (El Calvario and El Centro), where
today we see the priest's house in La Esperanza, had their town hall where they stayed the deputy mayor of the Rod High and officers who dispensed justice.
the passage of hundreds of years in the colonial era, was mayor Francisco de la Cerda (Spanish) appointed by the real willingness of Spain with the purpose of advising the participation in the management of their municipal jurisdiction, was carried out signs
of indigenous lands for the people of Jicaramani that it was called then and as Intibucá document dated November 10, 1647, proceeded to the territorial demarcation based on the place called Lentercala, currently Azacualpa the presence of Chiefs, rulers
native and indigenous residents of the region, signaling the land for municipal jurisdiction markers indicative of boundaries between different villages whose names were Lenca dialect, which later were changed to names of saints venerated by Catholics.
<p>Over time these two peoples rivalries came into land issues. The Lentercala not wanting to fight with the neighbors left their village, leaving between its main buildings,
the chapel, which until recent years the foundations were preserved in the neighborhood of El Calvario.
<p>During the nineteenth century, the site was inhabited by
Eramanies gradually occupied by traders and farmers, largely originating in Comayagua and other peoples of Honduras, as well as the Republics of Guatemala and El Salvador, they founded La Esperanza that Lopez ran from the park to Lepaterique, located on the
plateau of Manaquira.
<p> La Esperanza remained above the circle of the department of Gracias, composed of three districts: Otoro Jesus, the Hope and Camasca, later
earned the title of town on September 23, 1848, and the title of City in 1883, when it began Intibucá to join in the creation of this department.